Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling screens now triggers Autopilot after upgrading to RVOSD v5

Quote Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
    I installed the new firmware today and am really happy with it
    As I have RTH on its own switch, and dont mess with waypoints, I configured the aux2 channel to only operate between the values for FBW, level flight, heading hold and position hold.
    I have yet to test crash the latest firmware, but it looks brilliant.
    Now we just need to be able to select flaps or airbrakes on the landing gear channel......
    1) Which RVOSD have you got, 5.0 or 5.1?
    2) which FW versions (main and Graph) have you installed?

I have installed what i was told to install. installation went well. i don't see AUX2 as an option to chose.

S/.

I will check those fw. Maybe there is something wrong there.

Ok found it, It is because you have aileron differential mode on the autopilot output menu. On aileron differential mode there is no Aux2 input. This is because it use the rudder as the second aileron input. I suggest you to change the autopilot to Airplane, then you will have the aux2 input.
    Keep in mind that you can't use the FBW stabilization mode on differential ailerons output.

Your answers:

1- Aileron differential mode.

2-If you loose the video feed, you should not be on any other mode than RTH. You can trigger RTH mode by forcing a failsafe throttle level via switch, or by turning your RC-Tx down.

3- Aileron differential mode

Also the picture you post is the configuration of PPM2, unless you are using a two receiver setup, you should leave the configure/display menu item on PPM1.

Im using 5.0. I had the same issue as you at first until I found I was in PPM2 setup by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Villa View Post
    Ok found it, It is because you have aileron differential mode on the autopilot output menu. On aileron differential mode there is no Aux2 input. This is because it use the rudder as the second aileron input. I suggest you to change the autopilot to Airplane, then you will have the aux2 input.
    Keep in mind that you can't use the FBW stabilization mode on differential ailerons output.

Your answers:

1- Aileron differential mode.

2-If you loose the video feed, you should not be on any other mode than RTH. You can trigger RTH mode by forcing a failsafe throttle level via switch, or by turning your RC-Tx down.

3- Aileron differential mode

Also the picture you post is the configuration of PPM2, unless you are using a two receiver setup, you should leave the configure/display menu item on PPM1.
    Finally - a name was given to my symptoms.

1) Before I have purchased RVOSD i was considering FY-31 since most of my flying buddies are using it and are happy with it, and it supports absolute states by using 2 switches!.
    can't say it has half the features of RVOSD but since it does not support diff-ailerons I called RV and was given the answer i was looking for - RV supports Diff-Ailerons.

2) I can't force anyone to accept anything from my wishlist and I appreciate greatly your work Alex, but I can't say i like the fact that i can't have my AP, as i would not like a real airplane to have a toggle switch unless there is a very clear indicator that shows the actual status of the command sent to the airplane computers. with RVOSD the only indicator is the video down-link.
    Anyway, it can well be that I am the only one who feel very uncomfortable to fly like this.

3) As i wrote under my published screenshot - i am only using PPM1, but for not ruining my setup, i have configured PPM2 only to show you guys what my options are.

4) something to think about: if we have a different FM each 0.1ms, this means we still have room for one more FM mode which can be MANUAL mode. this might be a solution for now. not sure as i am just thinking out loud now. i would like to be able to take off in MANUAL mode, and to engage POSITION-HOLD without looking at the video. Part of this is supported.

So the bottom line is that i was thinking we now have a really really(!) great new feature, one that will upgrade rvosd big time but i should be truthful and say that I am still not comfortable.
    Again, this can only be me and others are feeling ok with this, but i don't.

Thank you Alex for being there through all my PM's and Posts.
    S/.
    Last edited by Squid; 12-23-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: adding 4th point.

The thing is that RVOSD was designed for FPV, being able to use all its features with just one auxiliary channel was one of the design goals, and I think this is a plus. Now I added a second auxiliary input that it is completely optional so you can still use one switch. But autopilot modes can be selected without entering the menu.
    I think the discomfort you feel now is because you did not used the OSD in flight yet.
    I am not only a designer and programmer of electronics, but also a FPVer. So the way I program the OSD is based on my needs.

1- By using a single extra auxiliary channel you save extra channels for the other requirements, like camera controls, flaps, landing gear, lights etc...

2-Take off on third person with RVOSD is completely possible by just setting the desired mode prior to take off, can't see any problem on this unless you don't have your FPV station with you and only want to fly third person mode.

3-I cant really picture why you would want to have anything but RTH mode when the video signal is lost. RVOSD has two options to force this. Both options are clear and there is no way to get confused. RTH has absolute priority over all functions on RVOSD and will be activated every time an RC failsafe is detected.

4-Differential ailerons is a feature of RVOSD, the downside is that you can't use FBW mode with it, and also can't use this new experimental feature I added on this fw(Aux2).
    Last edited by Alex Villa; 12-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Alex! - I've now configured my AP as Airplane and with Aux2 and things looks much better.
    I will go flying this weekend and will share my findings. What are the chances to have Diff-Ailerons with this new feature?
    None of my planes uses Y connectors.. all my planes are configured for Diff-Ailerons.
    Please consider the following or tell me if you think this will not work:
    Now when we have an additional control channel, A new FW (experimental..) where one can chose to set his AP/3 way Switch on/off/menu to be absolute, something like:

UP: AP on
    MIDDLE: Menu & AP off
    DOWN: Menu toggle

And you are right - i have not much experience (yet) with intensive flying with rvosd and it's only me thinking out loud at this point.

Happy New Year!.
    S/.
    Last edited by Squid; 12-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Hardware version 5.1
    M5.1_f5.09_r001.hexit
    it works on graphic 5.05,or I must update to G5.06?

In a recent build out with my new Skywalker I've updated firmware on my RVOSD5 to use the Six Way Switch for flight mode control. I document the steps to make this work using ER9X and the Turnigy 9X transmitter, along with a Universal Six Mode Switch:

1. Updated RVOSD5 firmware with version supporting the mode switch using AUX 2 via the PPM configuration:

OSD version 5.0 - M5.0_f5.10_r001.hex
    OSD version 5.1 - M5.1_f5.10_r001.hex

2. Mapped my Turnigy 9X/ER9X to the AUX 2 PPM channel using the P3/Pot switch

3. Confirmed that turning the P3/Pot really did change the RVOSD5 flight modes.

4. Installed one of these switches on my Turnigy 9X with ER9X firmware, replaced the P3 pot AFTER confirming the mode changing firmware was actually working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-Mo...item19d5487350

4A. Recalibrate the Turnigy 9X/ER9X sticks and pots.

5. Changed the Mixer page values (page 5/10) for the P3 pot for the percentage down to 80% from 100%. When originally at 100% each end of the six positions was outside of the settings necessary for RVOSD5 to recognize and use those endpoint values (RTH/Waypoint Sequencer). My original end point values were .98 and 2.01. This was enough outside of usability for RVOSD.

Required Values
    -------------------------------
    *1.00 - 1.23mS = RTH
    *1.71 - 2.00mS = Waypoint sequencer

After setting mix to 80% my end point values were 1.06 and 1.96 . So lowering the the percentage brought both end points to usable values. Once that was done the FULL LEFT position was RTH and the FULL RIGHT was Waypoint Sequencer.

6. Using the PPM menu I rotated the Mode knob through each of the other four (4) positions and adjusted the individual trimmer values to be somewhere in the middle of values for each RVOSD5 mode. You can see the PPM servo channel values on this screen as you adjust each trimmer.

Required Values
    -----------------
    *1.23 - 1.35mS = Level plane
    *1.35 - 1.47mS = Heading hold
    *1.47 - 1.59mS = Position hold
    *1.59 - 1.71mS = FBW

My trimmer values ended up at: 1.31 , 1.41, 1.53, 1.66

Video here to see the switching in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknRedoGHZQ

Its a great feature, thanks to Alex for making it happen.

Great feature. Will this also work by just using an existing POT knob?