Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best practice - DX7 with dual ailerons, flaps and RVOSD?

Question Best practice - DX7 with dual ailerons, flaps and RVOSD?

Hi all

Does anyone have a smart way of programming the Spektrum DX7 for an airplane with rudder, elevator, dual servo ailerons and dual servo flaps.

I have programmed my DX7 so I have throttle, rudder and elevator on individual channels.
    Differential aileron is done by the aileron channel plus gear channel by using programmable mix.
    Flaps are connected to aux1 channel via y-cable and programmed to left hand rocker switch.
    Aux2 is used for switching OSD displays and enabling autopilot using the three position switch.

Can this be done in any other way or is this the best solution?

Differential aileron control is not possible with any of the autonomous modes. (FBW,Heading hold etc) Only when manual flight mode is selected. As you described is how I have set up my dual aileron servo wing with flaps.
    I have also configured butterfly brakes, but must remember to turn off any of the A/P modes before deploying them, as a spiral dive ensues! FBW limits the upward travel throw on one of the ailerons and as a result asymmetric aileron deflection occurs.
    Cheers
    Frank

What?!

So I cannot use a dual servo setup for ailerons with the autopilot?

Just to make things clear, I have four servos on the wings, one each for ailerons, one each for flaps. Flaps connected directly to reciever with y-cable, ailerons connected from aileron and gear channels on reciever to rvosd aileron and rudder. Then servos connected to rvosd aileron/rudder out.

Do I have to use a y-cable for ailerons aswell?

What's the meaning of connecting it for differential aileron if this means you have to disable the autopilot? The ability to use autopilot was the main reason I bought this impressive piece of hardware....

Please help... =)

yup, need to change to y cable for ailerons for now .... although i speak under correction as im not sure about the new firmware thats been released

I'll test it on the bench to see how it acts.
    Last edited by flunk; 08-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.

No, you can use dual aileron servos. You dont have to disable the autopilot. You can use differential for the aileron servos. You just wont get any differential movement when the autopilot is controlling the ailerons. It will move them both equally. When the autopilot is disengaged and you are flying manually, then your control inputs are straight through the RVOSD. It is transparent to the signals and everything you programmed your Tx mixing them to do, will happen. When you engage FBW, or RTH, or any of the autonomous modes then the stabilization platform takes control of the flight surfaces and interprets your stick movements, and outputs its own responses. Therefore if you had differential aileron throws mixed in, this will not happen.
    Is that a little clearer?
    Last edited by ommadawn; 08-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Crystal clear! I've setup my plane now and I see what you mean now.

Flew it today! One word - awesome!

Tried the fly by wire, position hold and return to home features. Absolutely flawless, just need some tweaking. Fantastic. I am absolutely thrilled.

Another satisfied customer!

Quote Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
    Another satisfied customer!
    Yeah, you bet. I'm very pleased by the performance of all the stuff I've bought from Rangevideo. Video system and OSD.