Thread: Having trouble setting up the RVOSD...(new to FPV flying)

Default Having trouble setting up the RVOSD...(new to FPV flying)

Im building an RVJET for a school project, and I've been having some difficulty getting servo control from my RVOSD board. Here's a youtube video which details the setup of my situation. I would greatly appreciate any help or insight on this. I purchased the OSD in November 2015, so I am assuming it is the newest version.

I know the receiver and transmitter work, because when I connect the X8R directly to each servo and to the throttle, I can actuate the servos and motor. Do I have to re-bind the receiver after I connect the board?

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/vYW4ywvOZzE

You have come to the right place.
    The 12 V jumper is all about powering your Camera and Vtx. That bit is working.
    5v is supplied by your esc, so that should be ok.
    There is a setting in RVOSD that you might want to check.
    From the instructions:

"4- Set the R/C receiver connected (Main 4/4) menu item to Yes."

I've set that option to yes, and for the receiver format (the item after "R/C receiver connected" i think) I have set to standard. I tried PPM with no luck but, Im pretty sure I should have it as the default option. I am using the FRSKY X8R Receiver.

Default My rvosd won't move my servos.

Quote Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
    You have come to the right place.
    The 12 V jumper is all about powering your Camera and Vtx. That bit is working.
    5v is supplied by your esc, so that should be ok.
    There is a setting in RVOSD that you might want to check.
    From the instructions:

"4- Set the R/C receiver connected (Main 4/4) menu item to Yes."
    Are you saying that the rvosd only powers the camera and video tx from the current sensor, and that the rvosd needs power from the bec on the esc to power the servos? You see my rvosd will operate my motor, but won't power any servos. Since the rvosd gets power from the current sensor connection I figured that it would be bad if my esc was trying to power it also. So that's why I cut the red wire that comes off the bec. Is that why My servos aren't moving? I'm obviously getting some communication and control from my dx9 transmitter to the airplane since I can control the motor and switch osd screens. I just don't understand why no servos move. BTW I'm using a rvosd 6 with the 430mhz reciever and relay station. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.
    The 5v rail for the servos is not connected to the RVOSD circuitry. If you look at the board you can see that the middle pins are all linked via a PC track, but do not connect to anything else. If you reconnect the BEC red wire, it will power the common rail for the servos. Alternately, you can use a separate 5v supply connected to either your RC receiver or the RVOSD. On any of the unused outputs. This is my preferred method, as I had several incidents where the ESC either smoked up, or just died. If it had been powering the RC gear it would have been game over, however as there was a separate 5v supply all I lost was esc/ motor, and glided down both times.
    If you decide to use a separate 5v supply, then yes, leave the 5v from the ESC disconnected.

k
    Last edited by Stiltman; 01-11-2017 at 05:54 AM.